Bookmark Bookmarked To MyMICA
Study Abroad & Exchange

Study Abroad FAQs

What are the requirements to study abroad?

You need to be a junior in good financial standing in the semester you will study abroad and have a cumulative 3.0 GPA. In addition, you also need to attend a required Group Advising session and complete all the necessary application materials by the appropriate deadline.

When can I go abroad?

You can study abroad during your junior year. It is sometimes possible to study abroad during the first semester of senior year or the second semester of sophomore year (SACI only), though this is rare.

Where can I study abroad?

If you are interested in a MICA summer program, please visit the Travel Intensives site. MICA Summer Travel Intensives are managed by MICA's Office of Open Studies. Sites include Italy, Korea, and South Africa.

If you are interested in a semester study abroad, please see the Choose a Program page. All semester programs are managed by International Education. We have programs in over 30 countries. Sites include France, Australia, Italy, Indonesia, Denmark, and Japan. Students cannot choose programs that are not represented in MICA's portfolio of programs.

How do I choose a program?

First, visit our Choose a Program page. MICA offers a lot of programs, but not all programs offer the same curriculum and amenities. Some are available only to certain majors or require some language ability, while others do not include housing or have a narrowly focused curriculum. Make sure you research your program thoroughly by visiting the host institution's website. Contact the Office of International Education with any questions.

What is the difference between an affiliated study abroad program and an exchange program?

Affiliated study abroad programs are semester-long programs that are often geared toward American or international students. An example of an affiliated study abroad program is the SACI program in Italy. Study abroad programs typically include well-developed resources, staff, and support systems that students are used to having here in the United States. Often, there are field trips and cultural activities included as part of the program, too. Affiliated programs also often have an American credit system.

A direct exchange program is a program where you would attend a host institution just as someone from that country would. This means that you would need to be independent and motivated because things will be very different from what you are used to. It will be your job to learn as much as you can about how the school operates, how faculty teach and interact with students, how the program is organized, and what is expected of students there.

When you research programs, look into both types of programs and see what might work for you. And, of course, come talk to us for help and advice when you are narrowing down your program choices.

Will my program have the same semester dates as MICA?

Not necessarily. While some programs have dates that are close to MICA's semester dates, some programs begin earlier or end later. And some semester programs may vary in length in comparison to MICA. As a study abroad participant, you will need to follow the dates of your host institution; arriving late or leaving early could negatively affect your grades, or result in lost credit.

How do you get credit for taking classes abroad?

If you want to study abroad for a semester or non-MICA summer program, you must fill out an application by the appropriate deadline. As part of the application, you will fill out a Course Approval Form and obtain approval from department chairs for courses you wish to take abroad. As long as you have prior approval, you can get credit for courses taken abroad. Of course, you also have to pass the class when you go abroad! For all programs, except SACI and the New York Studio Program, as long as you get a D abroad, you will receive a P for Pass on your MICA transcript. For SACI and New York, you receive letter grades.

Please be sure to read through our Policies and Expectations page for more information.

Please note that if you are on a leave of absence, you cannot obtain credit for courses taken abroad.

How much does study abroad cost?

Summer and winter travel intensives are managed through the Office of Open Studies. For information on fees, please visit this page.

For all MICA semester programs, you will pay MICA tuition directly to MICA. You will be charged directly from your program for housing and possibly other program fees. In addition, you will be responsible for travel, local transportation, personal expenses (including insurance), and visa expenses.

How do I apply?

See the section of our website, Apply for Study Abroad. Make sure you fulfill all the requirements and meet all the deadlines. This is very important for students who do not meet the minimum requirements and deadlines will not be considered.

Who can I talk to if I have questions?

Come and see us. The Office of International Education has walk-in hours every day from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., and also on Tuesdays from 3 to 4 p.m. If you can't make those times, no problem, email to set up an appointment.

Search for anything and everything at MICA:

Test User
Offical Tester