Bookmark Bookmarked To MyMICA

Apartment-mate Concerns

You may not make roommate or apartment changes without the approval of Residence Life. Adjusting to living with others whom you do not know takes time. Many students make the assumption that a relationship will not work out before they have taken the time to communicate their needs and listen to the needs of others. Learning to work out problems with others is an important life skill.

To help you learn to communicate your needs and expectations, the staff will ask you and your apartment mates to complete an Apartment Agreement that specifies the rules and norms you and your apartment mates decide to live by in your home. The substance of the agreement is up to you and your apartment mates. We will ask you to discuss your preferences for music and noise, cleaning schedules, the sharing of food and possessions and several other areas that can become sources of conflict.

When conflict arises, we ask that you discuss your concerns with your apartment mates first. You may also go to your R.A. or Residential Coordinator for help. They will assist you in this discussion, if necessary. If things do not improve after you have attempted to make your apartment situation more comfortable by discussing the issues, you should talk with the Residential Coordinator about the possibility of a change in your living situation.

In order to give students time to get to know each other and to work things out with their apartment mates, Residence Life staff do not generally allow apartment changes during the first three weeks of school. However, students should feel free to consult with Residence Life staff regarding their situation.

The college reserves the right to reassign rooms and apartments or remove residents from apartments when necessary. Residents in an apartment with vacant space may have new students assigned to their space at any time. Residents are responsible for keeping the unoccupied space vacant and ready for immediate occupancy. Administrative charges, up to the value of the space for the semester, will be levied against residents who procure additional space.

Termination or Cancellation (Refund Schedule)

The following shall constitute grounds for cancellation of the Agreement by the College. No refund in housing charges shall be made for cancellation resulting from any of these reasons:

  • Default on the terms of the Agreement or payments;
  • Dismissal from the College for academic or disciplinary reasons;
  • Expulsion from housing for disciplinary/behavioral reasons; and
  • Changing status from full-time to part-time student

The following shall constitute grounds for cancellation of the Agreement by the student:

  1. In case of injury or illness, which necessitates withdrawal from the College, the student will be released from the contractual obligation when substantive proof of the matter asserted is presented in writing to the Office of Residence Life and Off-Campus Housing. Students will receive a refund of their housing costs according to the refund schedule below;
  2. A student who elects to participate in a College sponsored mobility or exchange or study abroad program that necessitates residency away from campus must comply with this agreement during the times the student is attending classes at the College. The student will be released from the contractual obligation for the time the student is participating in the College sponsored program;
  3. Students who withdraw from on-campus housing voluntarily during the semester or at the end of the fall semester and continue as students at the College will be responsible for the entire academic year’s housing charges;
  4. Students who withdraw from the College voluntarily during the semester will receive a refund of their housing costs based on MICA's refund schedule.

The refund schedule applies only to students withdrawing from the College or those with illnesses that require withdrawal from the College.

  • Prior to assigned move-in date: 100 percent, less $300 housing reservation deposit;
  • Within first week of classes: 80 percent;
  • Within second to fourth week of classes: 40 percent;
  • After fourth week of classes: No refund.

Students enrolled at the College for their first semester and who are receiving financial aid will be subject to the refund policy dictated by the Federal Financial Aid guidelines unless they leave campus housing for disciplinary reasons. All students who withdraw, take a leave of absence, or are separated voluntarily from the College during the academic year must notify the Office of Residence Life and Off-Campus Housing and vacate their housing space within 48 hours of the effective date of such action. Students who must leave as a result of College disciplinary action, who create or present a danger to self or others, or involved in any involuntary withdrawal procedure may be required, at the discretion of the College, to leave immediately.

Exiting Housing

Upon exiting housing it is the student's responsibility to contact their R.A. in order to schedule a check-out time. The following procedures are completed upon check out:

  • Room is accessed by R.A. to determine arrival/departure condition. Any noticeable damage sighted is reported on the Room Condition Form and signed by the student departing, thus acknowledging any and all damages. Note: Each apartment will also be accessed by Residence Life. Additional damages can be documented and charged to all or individual students within the apartment.
  • Both apartment keys and mailbox keys must be returned. If keys are not returned, the student who fails to comply will be charged for the cost of replacing the keys and possibly the lock to the apartment for safety reasons.
  • An R.A. will remind the exiting student to remove all valuables and property. Failure to complete proper check out will result in a $100 improper check-out fee with the option for additional charges. (Example: cost of key replacement, damages, cleaning, etc.) Additional explanation of proper Check-Out Procedures can be obtained from the mandatory Residence Life floor meetings at the end of every semester or by contacting your Residential Coordinator.
  • Any student not responsible for specific damages or cleaning costs, should make sure to have the student who is responsible sign the Damage and Cleaning Declaration Form to keep from being charged before the end of the semester. Be specific on the form as to who is responsible for any and all damages or cleaning charges that may be assessed to the apartment.

Residents may stay in college housing over Thanksgiving, fall break, and spring break. Students will not be allowed to occupy or access their apartments over winter break.

Students must leave housing 24 hours after the last day of their fall or spring semester exams. Residents who have completed their critiques and exams may be required to leave immediately if their behavior is disruptive to the College or residential community. A $100 late checkout fee will be assessed to individuals who move out during the first hour after the designated checkout time each semester. Each additional hour over and above the first hour will result in an additional $50 late fee. Prior permission to stay may be granted to residents with extenuating circumstances. If a student's circumstances require the student to stay in the facility after the checkout day, an overnight fee comparable to local hotel rates may be charged at the discretion of Residence Life.

You may leave belongings in your apartment over break periods during the academic year; however, we encourage you to remove valuable items because the College is not responsible for any loss or damage. Additionally, we recommend that students carry renter's insurance to cover valuable items in their apartments (see "Personal and Student Property" section). MICA does not offer or provide storage.  

Damage Appeal Process

If damages are assessed to a room, each student held responsible and charged will be sent a Damage Appeal Form. The appeal process deadline is included in the letter sent to each student from Residence Life. All appeals submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Damage appeals will not be accepted via telephone, fax or e-mail.

All appellants will receive notice within three business weeks of the appeal deadline regarding the status of their appeal. The Appeal Process Board's decision is final and cannot be appealed. If the cost of damage exceeds your $250 damage deposit, a hold may be placed upon your student account if the payment is not made by the indicated deadline.

Residence Life, Facilities Management, and Building Services are responsible for all repairs and determine the cost of the damage. These amounts are pre-determined and are based upon charges for time and materials. The cost to repair or replace fixtures in rooms may not be appealed.

Final apartment inspections are not conducted by R.A.s at the time of check out. Residential Coordinators of each community, Facilities Management and Building Services staff are responsible for assessing damages in apartments and conduct inspections within 48 hours of departure.

The housing damage deposit will be used by the College in its discretion to repair damages in the student's housing space or the general common areas caused by the student or to perform maintenance necessitated by the negligence of the student. Damage, maintenance necessitated by negligence of the student as determined by the Residential Coordinator or vandalism for which no person assumes responsibility will also be billed to all students who have responsibility for that space.

Grounds for Filing a Damage Appeal

  • You were billed for damage that you believe to be a result of “normal” wear and tear; reasonable wear and tear is generally defined as unavoidable deterioration in the dwelling and its fixtures resulting from normal use. For example, a hole in the wall is not normal wear and tear, however marks on the floor from the door opening and closing are considered normal wear and tear. (Source: U.S. Legal Definitions,
  • If you believe that you have been billed incorrectly or in error;
  • If your claim is that another individual is responsible for the damage. The student responsible will need to sign a Damage and Cleaning Deceleration Form, which will result in the responsible party being billed. Without this documentation, the Appeal Process Board will not reverse the charges.

All Appeals must be sent via standard mail to the following address:

Attention: Damage Appeal Board
Residence Life & Off-Campus Housing
1300 W Mount Royal Ave
Baltimore, MD 21217

What is an R.A.?

An R.A. (Residential Advisor) is a student staff member of Residence Life who works and lives in on-campus housing. The R.A. shares the responsibility for implementing the basic goals of Residence Life by promoting individual and community development through educational and social programs. The R.A.'s role consists of several components-including being a campus resource to residents, a peer counselor, a community builder, and assisting with both College and Residential Life policy enforcement. The R.A. reports directly to the Residential Coordinator of the community in which he or she resides and works collaboratively with the Director of Residence Life and the Office Manager. Remember that they are there to help you.

How do I find an R.A.?

An R.A. will be available each night for student assistance.

Founders Green

Please contact the Latrobe House 24-hour security/hospitality front desk at 410.462.7500 and ask for the R.A. on duty. The desk assistant will contact the R.A. on duty and he or she will then contact you.

Meyerhoff House

Please contact the Meyerhoff 24-hour security/hospitality front desk at 443.552.1600. The desk assistant will contact the R.A. on duty and he or she will then contact you.

Mount Royal and Gateway

Please contact the 24 hour security/hospitality desk at Gateway at 410.225.5286. The desk assistant will contact the R.A. on duty and he or she will then contact you.

If you have a non-emergency question or concern, stop by the front desk or the R.A. apartment. Also remember that they are busy students, so if you do not receive an answer fairly quickly, please call, email or stop by the office of the Residential Coordinator for your building. If you still cannot reach a staff member in your community at that point you can also contact Residence Life at (410) 225-2398 or for assistance.

Parents should always contact the Office of Residence Life at (410) 225-2398 or

Check-in and Room Condition Form

When you move into your apartment, you and your R.A. will complete a Room Condition Form. The forms are used to note the condition of the furniture and the apartment when you move in. To avoid charges when you move out, it is important that you are as thorough as possible on these forms when you move in. Because these forms do not list every possible thing that you may be charged for, you may be responsible for damages not listed on the form.


With the exception of fish in an aquarium (no larger than ten gallons), pets are not permitted in college housing. This includes visiting pets, like friend's and family's dogs or stray animals. If an unauthorized animal is found in a student’s apartment, the student will have 48 hours to remove the animal. Students will be billed for cleaning or any other related expenses and will be subject to disciplinary action. 

Disability Accommodations in Housing

Students living in on-campus housing who wish to request special accommodations for disabilities must contact the Learning Resource Center and provide appropriate documentation to support their request. The Learning Resource Center can be reached at 410.225.2416. The Learning Resource Center will notify Residence Life of the request and any necessary accommodations. Students new to the College must contact the Learning Resource Center and provide all appropriate documentation by June 1, prior to the fall semester (December 15 for spring admission). Students currently enrolled at MICA must contact the Learning Resource Center and provide all documentation by the first Friday in March to apply for housing the following academic year. Any student requesting accommodations must reapply for services each year they wish to live in college housing.

Residence Life Service and Assistance Animals Policy

Animals trained to assist persons with documented disabilities may qualify as a service or assistance animal depending on the specific way in which the animal aids the owner. Service or assistance animals may be permitted to live in the residence hall when authorized by Residence Life and the need is documented with the Learning Resource Center. The following stipulations provide the basic expectations of pet owners that are living in the residence halls with their animal. These expectations may need to change from time to time depending on the need of the resident, the need of the community and the type of the pet. 

Service animals must be easily recognized as such by others. Service animals must be in the immediate control of the person to whom they are assigned and may not be allowed to be treated as a pet by others.

Service animals must be documented and registered by MICA's Environmental Health and Safety Manager. A MICA animal tag must be visible at all times on the service animal.

Because of health standards, service or assistance animals must be kept clean at all times and it is the responsibility of the student to make the necessary cleaning and grooming arrangements.

Residential animals must not be an undue annoyance to other residents (excessive noise, smells, physically threatening, etc.) nor cause damage to the property of others or damage to university provided property. If damages occur as a result of the service animal Residence Life reserves the right to charge the student.

If the accommodation to the student of the animal becomes unreasonable by violation of this policy, or becoming a health threat or safety concern to another, the student must cooperate with Residence Life staff, Learning Resource Center, and others as appropriate to resolve the conflict. This may require a change in housing arrangements including modification or discontinuance of the accommodation, or reassignment to another room, apartment or residence hall.

For safety concerns, when service animals are unattended they must be left in the student's room in a locked crate. The service animal may not roam the owner's apartment or room while the owner is away. Because a service or assistant animal's purpose is to assist with their owner personally, service animals can only be supervised by the animal's owner. Other students are not permitted to escort or watch over the service animal. Assistance animals that are restricted to the owners room must stay in that location at all times. Assistance animals must not be taken to other university owned rooms or locations. This restriction does not apply to service animals.


When you move into your apartment you will be issued two keys: an apartment key and a mailbox key. These keys are for your use only and you may not lend them to anyone else. Although MICA has made every effort to make your environment secure, only you can ensure your safety by locking your apartment door and taking your keys whenever you go out-even if you are only going to visit another apartment or to put your trash in a trash room. This practice will also keep you from locking yourself out of your apartment.

For safety reasons, when residents lose their keys, the Facilities Management staff will generally replace the core lock to the apartment. The charge for changing the core lock will be $200 for the replacement of the core and all keys. The charge for replacement mail keys will be $25. For your safety, please notify Residence Life staff if you have lost your keys so that we can replace them and you can secure your apartment. All keys need to be returned when you leave housing and charges will be levied to replace cores and cut new keys as necessary.

Apartment Lockouts

If you find yourself locked out of your apartment, you should first try to find an apartment-mate to let you in. If no apartment-mate is available, contact the 24-hour desk in your facility and they will locate the appropriate individual to let you in. You will be asked to provide appropriate identification. If you have locked yourself out of your apartment, please call your apartment-mate first.

Please note: Locking yourself out of your apartment is not considered an emergency. Lock-outs handled by Residence Life will be documented and fees may apply. Residents who repeatedly need lockout assistance will be charged $5 after the third lockout and the charge will double for each subsequent charge (i.e., fourth = $5, fifth = $10, sixth = $20, etc.) These charges are billed cumulatively at the end of each semester.

Spare keys will no longer be left at residence hall front desks. If you have locked yourself out or lost your apartment key during normal business hours, Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., please come to Residence Life located on the second floor of Latrobe Hall for assistance.

After 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday, and on weekends and holidays, please go to the residence hall front desk to request assistance. The desk assistant will contact the appropriate on duty staff member to assist you after normal business hours, on the weekend and on holidays. On duty staff members assist with lock-outs at the following times: 8 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 3 p.m., 6 p.m., 9 p.m. and midnight. Unless there is an emergency, please note that you may have to wait until one of these times to be let into your apartment. If needed, please place a reminder note by your apartment door to make sure you have your room key and MICARD with you at all times.

For your safety and the safety of your apartment-mates, please notify the front desk when you have lost your keys. Never leave your home unlocked to avoid a lockout or lock-change charge. The cost to replace your apartment key is $200 and the cost to replace a mail key is $25.

If you have any questions, you can speak to your Residential Coordinator or contact Residence Life at

Repairs and Maintenance Requests

Once a work request has been submitted, the maintenance supervisor will prioritize your request and the work will be done as soon as possible. If Facilities Management staff members have been in your apartment to make a repair, they will leave a work status sheet that tells you they have been there and lets you know the status of the repair. Facilities Management staff also conducts routine pest control that requires access to apartments. Use this link can be used to submit a maintenance request.

Maintenance Emergency

A maintenance emergency is anything that is likely to affect the safety of students or cause immediate harm to property. Examples are: a major water leak, no heat when it is freezing outside, or a broken window. Call the 24-hour desk in your community and report the emergency situation. The desk assistant will contact the appropriate staff and will take steps to see that the emergency is resolved. If the situation is not an emergency, front desk staff will suggest that you complete a maintenance request. Use this link to complete a maintenance request.

Trash Removal

There are three trash rooms located on the first level of  Founders Green. Meyerhoff House is equipped with several trash rooms. Trash receptacles for the Mount Royal apartments are located behind the apartment units. Gateway trash rooms can be found on each floor. Students are responsible for carrying their trash to the designated trash areas. Trash should not be allowed to build up in apartments, as it represents a health and pest risk. To meet health requirements and to control unwanted pests, all trash must be bagged and discarded in the trash receptacles in the trash rooms. Residents who leave their trash on balconies, stairwells, hallways or walkways will be asked to place their trash in the trash rooms. Residents who fail to bring their trash to the designated centers will be charged a $50 trash-removal fee for each bag or item of trash.

Empty Alcohol Containers

In areas not authorized for consumption, empty alcohol containers are considered possession and will be subject to disciplinary action. Therefore, empty containers are only allowed in the possession of those residents 21 years or older. In the event that a resident wishes to use any form of prohibited paraphernalia, including empty alcohol containers, as any part of artmaking, this must be discussed in advance with the Residential Coordinator for that facility. Approval must be given in writing before it is appropriate to collect these materials, and the resident must be able to demonstrate that this is a legitimate artistic response to a defined classroom or studio assignment. It is likely that the Residential Coordinator will help the resident determine an alternative space to their apartment, such as the residential studios, to secure and hold these items for the duration of the assignment.


All residential facilities support single stream recycling. Each apartment has a recycling can. All facilities have designated recycling drop-off points that are clearly identified, usually found in the trash rooms. All recycling should be placed in clear trash bags and placed in the proper area of  your residence hall. Food contamination-such as soiled pizza boxes and other cardboard food containers-should not be included in your recycling bag. Facilities Management staff will generally empty these drop-off points once per week. In addition, there is a container in the Founders Green parking lot behind Spear Hall to collect glass, plastic and metal recycling that may not fit into a bag or the trash room.

Scheduled Health and Safety Inspections

Residence Life staff will conduct general inspections of apartments each semester. These inspections are made to check for compliance with fire and safety codes, necessary maintenance repairs and the general cleanliness of apartments, which if dirty may pose health risks or attract pests (particularly kitchens and bathrooms). It is important that all students living in on-campus housing follow all guidelines for appropriate use of materials (solvents, chemicals, etc.) when making art in the residence halls. Information about appropriate use of materials can be obtained in the resource displays located in the residence hall studios, from your R.A., or from your faculty members.

A safe and healthy community requires that residents maintain adequate cleanliness and health standards. Members of the staff do not make the judgment that neat is better than messy; however, a clean apartment, particularly in the kitchen and bathroom areas, is essential to the health of residents as well as the rest of the community. For this reason, we ask you to keep your apartment clean.

The inspections will be announced ahead of time and you will be notified of the date and time. Reasonable efforts will be made to ensure that at least one resident of the apartment is available at the time of the inspection. You will be notified of the results of the inspection and, if necessary, you will be given an opportunity to clean. If you do not clean after being informed of the necessary requirements, you will be charged for the time and labor it takes for Facilities Management staff to do the cleaning. If you have damaged the apartment, do not attempt to make a repair. Facilities Management staff will repair all damages to the apartment and the residents responsible may be charged for the repairs. Any policy violations encountered during these routine inspections will be addressed.

Emergency Situations and Issues of Health and Safety

24-Hour Desks: The Founders Green front desk, located at the main entrance and staffed 24 hours a day, is the central information point for safety and security concerns within Founders Green and for 1534 W Mount Royal Ave. The desk assistants monitor those entering the Founders Green 24 hours a day and are able to view the parking lots and the front of Founders Green through security cameras. The desk assistant is also connected to the R.C., R.A.s and with Campus Safety staff on campus. You may call or visit the desk at any time, day or night, if you have a concern or need information. The Meyerhoff House and Gateway desks function in the same capacity as the Founders Green front desk, but for the residents of Meyerhoff House and Gateway. Students living in the Mount Royal apartments should go to the Gateway front desk for assistance. 

Medical Emergency

If an ambulance is necessary, dial 911 and provide the following information:

1. Tell them your situation and the location

  • If you are in the Founders Green, the address is: 120 McMechen Street, and your apartment number or the location of the emergency;
  • If you are in Meyerhoff House, the address is: 140 West Lafayette Avenue, and your apartment number or the location of the emergency;
  • If you are in the Mount Royal Apartments, the address is: your building number and apartment, West Mount Royal Avenue;
  • If you are in the Gateway, your address is, 1601 Mount Royal Avenue and your apartment number or the location of the emergency.

2. Then call Campus Safety dispatch at 443.423.3333. The Campus Safety dispatcher will contact Residence Life and Campus Safety staff who will assist you.

If an ambulance is not necessary, but you or another student need medical assistance:

  • During regular weekday office hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.), call Chase Brexton at 410.225.4118 and talk with the nurse.
  • After 5 p.m. or on weekends, call either the Founders Green Front Desk (410.462.7500 or 7501), the Meyerhoff Desk (443.552.1600 or 1601), The Gateway desk (410.225.5286) or Campus Safety (443.423.3333) for assistance.

Residence Life and Campus Safety staff will assist you.

Fire Emergency

If you have a fire in your apartment, get out of the apartment, shut the door and activate a hand-pull alarm. Then move with others down the stairwell to the designated evacuation location. Report the fire's location to staff and fire officials.

If the smoke detector goes off and you smell smoke, get out of the apartment staying near the floor, shut the apartment door, and activate the hand-pull alarm in the stairwell. Then move with others down the stairwell and to the front of the designated evacuation area. Report what happened to staff and fire officials.

If the smoke detector goes off and you know that the source of the smoke is not dangerous (for example, cigarette smoke), air the apartment out and the smoke detector alarm will go off on its own accord. Because neighbors often call the front desk when they hear smoke detectors go off, notify the front desk in your community and tell them what happened.

If you think that your smoke detector is defective, ask the front desk to put in a work request immediately. Staff will check it quickly. If it is beeping periodically, our staff may just need to replace the battery. You cannot turn off or cover your smoke detector. Remember, tampering with or disconnecting a smoke detector or other fire equipment is prohibited because it endangers you and others. Severe disciplinary action will be taken if you tamper with any safety equipment. If you suspect that your smoke detector is not working properly, ask that it be checked. If you ever hear an alarm and are unsure as to the nature or cause of the alarm, please treat the situation as an emergency, exit the location and inform the relevant staff immediately.

Fire Safety

All residents and guests must evacuate their apartments when a fire alarm sounds. Walk quickly to the nearest stairwell and go out of the nearest exit to the designated gathering point. Follow the directions of all housing and security staff and any fire personnel.

Tampering with any safety device (including smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers or fire alarms) is expressly prohibited and considered a serious violation. Disciplinary action could include dismissal from College housing and possibly arrest and prosecution. In the interest of fire safety, the following items have been banned from College housing and will be confiscated:

  • NO halogen floor lamps;
  • NO candles (the only permissible candles are decorative candles with new wicks-these may not be lighted in College housing. Candles with burnt wicks will be confiscated. The practice of melting wax for any purposes, including for art projects, is not permissible.);
  • NO incense.

In addition, only UL-approved electrical products may be used in College housing. All extension cords and plug strips must be UL approved. Please look for the "UL" symbol on products before bringing them to campus.

Personal and Community Safety in College Housing

In addition to the physical features built into the residence halls (such as enclosed living spaces, security screens, window stops and closed-circuit monitoring of the building exteriors), MICA provides numerous other services designed to keep the communities as safe as possible. Examples of this would be the MICA Evening Shuttle, along with the rounds completed within the complexes by the R.A. staff at night.

While Campus Safety staff work around the clock, there are some precautions we ask you to take to minimize the possibility of crime on campus and to ensure your own safety. The most important precaution you can take is to always be aware of your surroundings--both on and off campus. Students must work together with staff to provide their own safety. Being safe in and around the campus housing means doing the following:

  • Never prop open building entrances; if you see an open door, always report it to staff;
  • Report strangers immediately;
  • Report anything that seems suspicious, no matter how small, to the 24-hour desk;
  • Lock your apartment door and take your key with you when you leave-even if you are just going to another apartment or doing your laundry;
  • Keep the window stops in place on your interior windows and never open your interior windows farther than the locks allow;
  • Keep your window screens in place;
  • Never leave valuables in your apartment in plain view;
  • Take the evening shuttle to and from campus buildings at night;
  • Use the parking lots with care, stay alert, and walk quickly and directly to the entrance of the building.

Please remember if you do not follow these guidelines, not only are you jeopardizing your own safety, but also the safety of everyone else in the residential community.

Personal and Student Property

The college is not responsible for the loss of or damage to students' personal property. Students are urged to:

  • Purchase surge protectors to guard against occasional electrical surges;
  • Record the serial numbers of valuable personal items; and
  • Secure appropriate insurance
  • Once you are sure something has been stolen please report the theft to campus safety immediately at (443) 423-3333

As a precaution, students are also encouraged to take valuable belongings home during break periods. Residents are urged to confirm existing coverage under the homeowner's policy of their parents or guardians and, if not covered, to secure individual property or renter's insurance.

Entrance and Guest Policies

All students (including residents), faculty and staff may enter the residential facilities after showing their current MICARD to the desk assistant at the front entrance. All guests who are not current full-time students, staff or faculty at MICA must use the front entrance and must be escorted by a student resident the entire time they remain in the residential areas. Guests will also be asked to leave picture identification and to sign in and out at the 24-hour desk. Guests found in the common areas without student hosts will be asked to leave immediately.

If residents arrive with guests, they are expected to use the front entrance only and to have their guests sign in. Students who either prop doors or admit students through other means than the front desk place the entire community at risk and will face severe disciplinary action.

Guest Policy

Each student resident may have up to five guests visiting at a time if they have the approval of their apartment-mates. Students should remember that they are responsible for the actions of their guests and must escort them any time they are in the common areas of the residence halls.

All guests are subject to the same rules as residents. Guests may not bring alcohol or illegal substances into the residence halls. With the consent of their apartment-mates, residents may have overnight guests for three consecutive nights, and the same guest is limited to nine total days of overnight visitation in a semester. Overnight guests are a privilege and a courtesy extended by your fellow apartment-mates. Guests may not move into an apartment. Residents are responsible for the actions of their visitors. Disciplinary action may be taken with residents for the behavior of their visitors.

Student residents need to be considerate of their apartment mates when having guests over and should show appropriate respect for their apartment-mates' needs for privacy and space. If, after talking with their apartment-mates, residents are unable to resolve problems regarding guests, they should talk with Residence Life staff. Gatherings are permitted in individual apartments and must abide by College policies regarding noise, alcohol and drugs. They must be confined to an apartment, and fire regulations prohibit no more than eight people in an apartment at a time.

College's Right of Room and Apartment Entry and Search

The College reserves the right to enter rooms or apartments when, in its discretion, it determines that there may have been a breach of terms listed within the housing agreement or in MICA's posted guidelines.

The College reserves the right to enter and search a resident's room or apartment without notice when it deems it necessary to protect the safety of the resident or other occupants, for investigation and resolution of policy violations, to address disruptive behavior, to provide emergency service or to conduct safety inspections. Additionally, representatives of the College may enter a resident's room or apartment (during reasonable hours) when necessary to provide inspection, service, repairs, improvements or maintenance.

The College reserves the right to search a room or apartment without notice when there is sufficient reason to believe, as determined by MICA, that a violation of College regulations or policy or violations of state, federal or local law is occurring or has occurred. During such a search, a reasonable effort will be made to have the resident present at the time of the search.

MICA reserves the right to remove College or personal property from a room or apartment. If during the time a staff member is in an apartment for any reason, he or she sees illegal or dangerous items in plain view, the items will be confiscated and disciplinary procedures will be implemented

By signing the Housing Agreement, the student consents to having his or her room or apartment entered and searched in accordance with the terms and conditions of this policy. The student expressly agrees and acknowledges and his or her signature on the Housing Agreement authorizes the College to enter his or her room or apartment without the student's prior consent.


The Founders Green, Gateway and Meyerhoff House are equipped with laundry rooms that are open 24 hours a day. These facilities can be operated by coins or your MICARD. The cost to wash and dry is $1.50 per load.

Recreation Equipment

Founders Green has basketballs and a basketball goal. The Meyerhoff underground has a ping-pong table and an air hockey table. See front desk staff and leave your MICARD to check equipment out. Students who damage, lose or fail to return equipment will be charged replacement costs.

Athletic activities should be confined to areas designed for recreational use, such as the volleyball area in the grass courtyard and the basketball court. The Office of Student Affairs operates a gym and aerobic facility, located at 1501 W. Mount Royal Ave, which is available to all enrolled MICA students free of charge during the academic semester. This facility includes cardiovascular and strength equipment, and also provides space for a wide variety of instructed classes ranging from dance to aerobics. Please use this  link for more information about the MICA Wellness Center. Athletic activities should be confined to areas designed for recreational use, such as the volleyball area in the grass courtyard and the basketball court. Hours of operation vary by semester. Check with Student Activities in the first floor of Meyerhoff House for a current schedule.

Bike Racks

Students may lock their bikes to the bike racks that are provided. Bicycles left in the racks must be locked, and student use of the racks is at their own risk. Because access to the stairwells, balconies, hallways and walkways is important for residents carrying their supplies and for the necessity of emergency exits, bikes are not permitted on stairwells, hallways, gates, railings or walkways. People who lock their bikes to access areas will be asked to move them. If the bike is not removed quickly, arrangements will be made to have the bike removed. A charge will be levied for the labor involved in removing a bicycle. Locks or securing devices will not be replaced, nor will violators be compensated if bikes are damaged in the removal process.

Shared Studio Space

Residential studios are available for use by on-campus residents. These spaces may be signed out through the studio manager. The sign-out process, duration of sign-out, and studio policies are set and shared with the community by the studio manager at the beginning of each semester. These spaces are to be shared by the entire residential community and consequently need to be cleared out at the end of each sign-out period. In the interests of safety, all expectations and policies for studio use must be strictly obeyed. Residents will be responsible for any costs associated with cleaning studio spaces after use.


Unfortunately, the College has no general storage spaces available. Residents must store all their belongings in their apartments. Any furniture provided by the College in your apartment must be present when it is time to move out. Residence Life can refer you to several local storage companies.

Quiet Hours for Everyone

Because residents are living in a community, respect and courtesy for others is essential in creating a comfortable environment for everyone. The College expects that at all times residents will respect each other's needs for calm and quiet living space and will not make unreasonably loud noise. This means that courtesy hours are in effect at all times. The College also expects that, if asked, students will turn down the volume of whatever noise is concerning others. Quiet hours will be in effect in every building from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m., Sunday through Thursday. Quiet hours on Friday night (actually Saturday morning) and Saturday night and Sunday morning are 1 a.m. to 9 a.m. Twenty-four-hour quiet hours begin the day before crit week and continue through final exam week each semester.

"Quiet hours" means that stereos must be turned down to a level that confines the sound to a student's room. Informal conversations should be confined to individual apartments. Noise in public areas should be kept to a minimum. No basketball may be played in the Founders Green during quiet hours. The pianos within Leake Hall and Meyerhoff House should not be played during quiet hours. Repeated instances of unreasonable noise during either regular or quiet hours will be reason for disciplinary action.

Off-Campus Housing

The Residence Life and Off-Campus Housing Office provides assistance to students interested in living beyond the MICA campus. The Off-Campus Housing Guide-along with rental listings, tenant resources, contact information and search tips-is available on the Off-Campus Housing page. 

Search for anything and everything at MICA:

Test User
Offical Tester