MICA’s new mission includes an institutional commitment to “thrive with Baltimore” and to the importance of artists, designers, and educators as cultural innovators and agents of creative and progressive social change.
The Center for Creative Citizenship (CCC) supports the development of partnerships, programs and initiatives that advance the interests of Baltimore’s communities and neighborhoods and contribute to the educational experience of members of the MICA community as culturally aware, critically engaged, and empathetic participants in contemporary society.
An activator of MICA's vision, the CCC's central tenets include:
- Advance core strategies for making community-based learning and partnered teaching and research a central and pervasive aspect of the MICA educational experience.
- Cultivate strong and sustainable educational partnerships across a diverse range of constituencies and stakeholders in the City of Baltimore and beyond.
- Develop and oversee programs that support equitable collaborations between students, faculty, staff and community partners with the goal of increasing the number and the depth of these partnerships, and building MICA’s capacity to mobilize artists, designers and educators to create positive social change.
- In collaboration with College and community partners, develop campus-wide public programming that brings notable role models and new audiences and new stakeholders from the surrounding communities to MICA.
- Work with key faculty, staff, students and academic leadership to ensure the success and sustainability of key strategic initiatives, such as the Student and Faculty Grants programs, the Community Art Collaborative, MICA PLACE and partnerships with a broad range of public, non- profit, and private educational and community partners throughout the City of Baltimore.