Once you have been approved by your home institution to apply for exchange at MICA, please complete and send the following materials directly to MICA's Office of International Education:
- Exchange application
- Statement of interest (usually one page)
- Official or certified university transcript showing all past and current courses and grades
- Portfolio of artwork: 12 to 15 images on
- Official financial documents indicating sufficient funds (please see application for further details)
- Copy of the biographical page of your passport
New Requirement: In accordance with new J-1 visa requirements, MICA now requires proof of English language proficiency (if your native language is not English). MICA requires a score result on The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of at least 550 PBT (paper-based test), or equivalent 213 CBT (computer-based test), or 80 IBT (internet based test). MICA also accepts a band score of at least 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Fall semester exchange: April 1
- Spring semester exchange: October 1
When the Office of International Education receives your complete application for exchange, shortly after our exchange application deadline we will send it to the chairperson of the department in your major field of study (for example, Painting, Video, Graphic Design, etc.). The department chairperson will review your application and will make the final decision regarding your acceptance for exchange at MICA.
As soon as the department chairperson reaches a decision on your application, the Office of International Education will contact you and your home institution's exchange or international office coordinator with the result.
After students have been accepted, students will have to confirm their participation by email by the following deadlines:
- November 15 for the spring semester
- May 15 for the fall semester
Please note that if students withdraw after these deadlines, they will be responsible for any fees incurred by MICA on their behalf.