The M.A.T. at MICA is for students who have a passion for art, a commitment to children and young people, and a desire to seek certification as K-12 teachers. Applicants with either a B.F.A. or B.A./B.S. degree in studio art are welcome. Successful applicants typically have comprehensive preparation in both studio art and art history, and a portfolio demonstrating an understanding of the deep purposes making art can serve.
Students considering this program may also consider the M.F.A. in Community Arts, which prepares students for careers in community development.
Application Requirements & Procedures for the M.A.T.
1. Graduate Admission Application Form: completed and submitted online via mica.slideroom.com
2. Curriculum Vitae/Resume
3. M.A.T. Essay
- A. Submit an essay discussing the development of your interest in teaching art (500 words).
- B. In addition, provide a sample of scholarly writing, uploaded to SlideRoom. This can be an academic paper, published article or other critical writing.
4. Three (3) Letters of Reference
Recommendations are submitted online via SlideRoom.
5. Proof of Degree or Equivalent
Digital transcripts from the last degree-granting institution can be uploaded to SlideRoom. Official transcripts are not required for the initial review process, however, the Graduate Review Committee may request additional or official documentation before decision notification.
6. Portfolio of Artwork
Applicants should submit 18-20 digital images or time-based personal artwork for review online via mica.slideroom.com. The system allows applicants to create an inventory of pieces and attach the following information: title, date, medium, dimensions, and notes. Additional technical and submission guidelines are available on SlideRoom.
7. $75 Application Fee
Payable via credit card during the application submission stage online.
8. Additional Requirements for International Applicants
International candidates whose primary language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in both written and spoken English. Additionally, certified translations of all letters of reference, transcripts and school documentation must be provided. For additional information on international applicant requirements, please visit Information for International Graduate Applicants.